Tuesday, December 11, 2007

God Is STILL Good To Gary

My father led an amazing life-always serving others, loving unconditionally, and bringing so many to Jesus. I am so honored that God chose him to be my earthly father, and I cherish each and every moment the Lord allowed me to be with him.

As I say goodbye to my father through this blog, emotions flood. I am grieving that I cannot see him on this earth anymore, sad that he can't physically hold my children and hurting that my mother is alone after 38 years with her "heart". But through that I praise the Lord that my father is where he has dreamed of all his life, and I am so happy that his legacy continues here through his family and friends.

I got to spend the last night Dad had on this earth with him. We thought we had more time with him, so we were "taking turns" to stay up with him and make sure he wasn't in pain. And God allowed some amazing memories during that night-we prayed, we read scripture, we sang, and we even had "church" with David Jeremiah that Sunday morning. Daddy couldn't speak by that point, but he was able to communicate through body language. And even then, his last hours on earth, he focused on his passions-Jesus and family. God even granted his "girls" to be with him in his final moment-and I am SURE we witnessed my Daddy seeing his Lord and Savior! What an awesome moment that I will never forget. And now his passion has realized all of our hopes for him!

Our only wish and prayer now, as Gary's family, is that you create and continue a legacy through your family. Family was the most important thing to him; I remember our "family time" we had when we went on vacations, went out to movies or to eat, or even just watched TV together as a family. I remember what my dad gave up to be with us-he could have had a big career, traveling and speaking all over the world. But he chose to come home every night to be with his bride and children. And now we will continue that-choosing family over all the wordly things that do not mean as much. We pray you can do the same.

Please visit his memorial site at http://www.mem.com/. Simply type in his name in the "Search" section on the left side. You can leave messages, see pictures, and we will even try to put some of his "spots" from Faith Radio on there that you can hear! I will work to keep updating that as find things here and there in the future.

We are honored that you chose to remain in touch with us through this blog, and it is hard to say goodbye to you as well. I have learned about those who have posted comments-Daddy always asked if anyone left one and then told me all about the people who did. We know you will not forget Gary, and please praise our Redeemer that we can see him again one day!

In closing, please read one of Dad's favorite passages (for all of them at one time were his "favorites"!). He wanted to live his life according to this passage, and I believe the Lord told him "welcome my good and faithful servant, full of integrity" when Daddy met him.

We love you.


Psalm 15

Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy
hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman, who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the Lord, who keeps his oath even when it hurts, who lends his money without usury and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things will never be shaken.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin - Thank you so much for your faithfulness on this blog. You are a credit to your Daddy and your Lord. Paula Sharpe Alvelo

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin- I loved Gary like a brother in Christ- he was the most genuine, heart-felt Christian I knew. Whenever you needed compassion- he gave it and gave advice to help soothe any problems.

Gary will ALWAYS be remembered. As I said before, I don't think you or your family could possibly know how many lives he has touched- how many lives have been affected by his Christ-like presence. I think about and miss Gary everyday- but as soon as I feel sad, I feel a certain peace like I never felt before. I even feel joy because I know Gary is with Jesus.

I know Gary wanted to go to Heaven before all of you. Not just so he can be with Christ, but also so he can welcome you one day into the Kingdom. What a wonderful day it will be :)

In all of the work the Lord has for my life, I strive to remember Gary Hundley in doing so and helping to spread what He has taught us all- love and acceptance. Gary's legacy will live on, I promise :)

Words cannot do Gary justice on the impact he had on my life. An impact that will always live on.

God Bless you and your family this holiday season. Your blogs always uplift me.

Love in Christ,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Erin-
You and your family continue to be on my heart. I love you! Tracie

Anonymous said...

Dear Hope , Erin and families,
You have been in my heart and my prayers through all of this. I know this is very hard but I also know that you know he is in a better place and has no pain now. May God bless all of you.
Love, Iva Potter

Anonymous said...

Thank you Erin. As I was going through my favorites list, I saw Gary's Blog site and went out once again. I was pleasantly surprised seeing your reference to Psa 15. It's also one of my favorites and I appreciate that mutual connection with your Dad.
In His Service, Xavier "Lew" Lewis

Dave Robison said...

Hi Erin,

Not sure if you still check for email from this blog, but I hope you do.

I decided to Google your dad's name tonight because I had been thinking about him lately. The last time I communicated with him was a year or two after he started working for the radio.

Gary meant a lot to my wife and I and our entire family. When we joined the Columbus Church of Christ, Gary went out of his way, (or in Gary's case, it was exactly his way) to welcome us and befriend us. He came to visit us and took the time to get to know us. I suppose our family was somewhat unique to the church, but we bonded with Gary and found his direction of the church so in tune with us. He confessed to us, his own personal struggles as we struggled in raising our young kids and growing as adults.

With Gary's help, we felt we belonged to that church family. Gary's sermons always enlightened me, and made me think differently about older Bible stories. He educated me on the history of the story and what it meant in first century terms. His teachings stay with me, even though I may not be in touch with a church on a regular basis any more.

Having lost my Mom and Dad several years ago, I know that time doesn't necessarily heal all wounds, but even though you still miss your Dad...tonight it's as if he just died for me. You have my deepest sympathies for your Family and for Hope. I share in your loss tonight. I have lost another father-figure, teacher and friend. I have always missed Gary and now I find I will miss him just a bit more.

With deep admiration for Gary.

Dave Robison
dave@ontheroadwithdave.com