Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Relying on our Rock and Fortress

Gary successfully completed day three of radiation. Each session causes him more pain and weariness, due to the hard metal table where he must lay and be completely still. The doctor hopes the pain will begin to subside by next Friday, but every day becomes more difficult to look that far ahead. Gary is walking less and eating less but sleeping more and trying to do more for himself.

Gary also went to see his oncologist, Dr. Davidson today. The nurses and the doctor both agree that Gary is actually doing well for a man who suffered a pulmonary embolism a week ago. Since his oxygenation is 97% while he is on oxygen, the doctor suspects a clot still may be present somewhere in his leg or lung. This could also account for his weariness and pain. But one nurse said she was amazed that this man went through all he did last week and was sitting in front of her! But we are not amazed, for our God can cure any ailment.

Dr. Davidson really wants to begin chemotherapy again, because this cancer has spread so quickly and ferociously. So Gary will start his chemo again tomorrow after his round of radiation therapy. Please pray for less pain and discomfort tomorrow as he will spend a much longer day at the Cancer Center.

We can see that God wants Gary to remain on this side of heaven a little longer! While we rejoice that we have more time with him, we grieve that he is in such pain. Please join us as we pray for pain free days. My father so much wants to enjoy life and not just "endure" it.

He praises God for every minute God has granted him to spend with his family and friends. And we are so blessed to have Gary's older brother with us for a time. Dad told me he is "tickled all over" that his big brother is here. Please pray for a joyous visit for both of them. My uncle lives in Michigan, so these visits do not come often enough.

I have shared the passage my father held onto after he found out about his brain tumor. I hope you will allow me to share with you one of the passages I have frequently found myself praying and reciting as we walk this journey. It comes from Psalm 18:

I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I
take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.


And later on, David writes:

You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.
With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.
For who is God besides the Lord ? And who is the Rock except our God?
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make
me great.


God can make all things possible; I simply must believe. And when the days seem long and my father's pain worse, I hold fast to these words. I know the Lord is holy, and His ways are perfect, even in this seemingly "imperfect" time. And even when it seems my father can't do anymore than just sit, my Father is arming him with strength and enabling him to stand on the heights. For he has already won and gained the shield of victory! And when I remember that I can praise God for all of His wonders, today. Truly that is how my parents raised me-to look up when things look so horribly down. Yet another wonder from God.

Thank you Lord for such a family as the one I have. You have given us more than we have ever deserved. May you be glorified forever and ever.

No comments: