Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Though He Slay Me"

We praise God for His glorious grace and mercy!

Gary has improved tremendously over the past 18 hours. He is breathing much more steadily, even though he cannot yet breathe on his own. His heart rate as well as his respirations per minute are almost normal, and the doctors have dropped his oxygen from 12 to 6 liters. He may even go home tomorrow!

We have talked a lot today about Gary's life, his impact and his ministry. We can see in so many places where God has touched us or touched others through Gary. He has truly spent his life bringing honor and glory to the Lord. Today has been a blessing for him and his family.

When I tried this evening to compare his battle this past year with some of the battles Job faced in Scripture, Gary became uneasy. But he did say he hopes he has glorified God in this process and then quoted Job:

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.

We then prayed that Gary's journey has indeed revealed this in all that has happened. I assured him that I, as his daughter, have learned more about walking in the path of God from him this year than I have in my life. I thanked our Lord for such a godly father to teach me how to walk in the will of God. I know Gary has done this for others.

We don't know what the future holds. But we do know it's in the Lord's hands. And we know that in Christ alone can we hope in times like this. And in that we find peace and rest. And we know, in the end, our Father will tell our earthly father "welcome my good and faithful servant". There is no greater reassurance than that.

God is truly good, and may He be glorified forever and ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for some relief!!! We at Hunter Hills are with you in Spirit Gary and are keeping your name before the Throne without ceasing. May God be praised for your unfailing loyalty to the King!

In Him,

Don Campbell