Monday, October 1, 2007

One More Week

Gary has one more week of radiation, and the Dr. tells us that it has been going very well. The radiation is doing exactly what it is supposed to do-shrinking those tumors. Dr. Franklin told Gary he should begin to feel certain relief this week.

I must say that I have never been more proud of my father's bravery and courage. This past year and a half as he has dealt with cancer has been filled with fear, uncertainty and physical as well as emotional and even spiritual pain. But my father has faced all of this head-on, with such a peace that all will be okay. I have never heard him say he was afraid to face anything that came his way. He always told us it would be okay, that He knows who is in control.

This most recent attack of cancer has brought the most significant physical pain, and none of us can imagine what Gary is going through each day. My mother and I have said we could not have survived what Gary has endured these past two months. When I tell my father that, he simply says- "It is what it is. This too shall pass!" What confidence!

My parents are amazing; they have taught my sister and I to be the women we are today. We praise God He allowed us to be raised in such a godly and loving home. And they have led us by example all of our lives. But I must say I have learned more from my father these past months about courage and trust than I did all my growing up years. He has lived Scripture like:
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

and
"Tho He slay me, yet will I trust Him.
Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.
He also shall be my salvation."

and

"You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You."

I have spoken several times how my father wants to continue in his "Kingdom work" here on earth for another 10 years. But even if God chooses to deny this request, his "Kingdom work" will continue through us! My father has created a legacy through his children and grandchildren, and we pray we carry on his "Kingdom work" even after the Father takes him home. I know the Lord has given me an example through my earthly father, and I pray I can carry his name and legacy to those around me, especially to my children. For I am proud of who I am and where I came from.

I pray my father has touched you as he has touched me. May the Lord be glorified forever and ever because of my father's "legacy".

No comments: